Here is a Mamma Returns activity that you might like to try before you start your next job search, so you really understand what it is you are looking for in a new role. This will make singling out the opportunities a little bit easier, and may help you to apply just to those postings that really strike a chord with you! After all if you are going to spend time away from your little one(s) you want to be doing something that evokes happiness and contentment.
First grab your supplies. Use what makes you comfortable - perhaps that's a journal and pen or maybe you want to paint and collage. You decide.
1. When you think about your career, what is your dream? Answer this through a vision board, pen and journal, or collage etc.
2. When you think about your next role (with that clear dream in mind), what is it? Describe, describe, describe (who, what, when, where, how).
3. Now, looking at that ideal next role, is there anything that has to change to make this realistic for your job hunt? Perhaps you need to limit your geography, your hours of work etc.
You now have a clear description / picture of the job you want, the environment you want it in, the industry and/or the values of the organization.
4. Now, research! What companies / roles are out there that fit what you are looking for? Look at both postings and roles that exists that may not be presently posted.
Once you have created a list or a diagram...
5. Tailor your approach. How can you approach each of these ideal employers to show them why you are the best fit for their role?