Nesting is a primal instinct that hits Mammas all over the animal kingdom as they prepare to welcome their new little one to their home. Many returning Mammas that I have spoken to find the final month before their return to work feels similar to nesting:
Perhaps it is a desire to...
- start and finish all the projects on the family to-do list,
- "spring clean" the house,
- sort every drawer, cabinet and cupboard,
- fill the freezer to the brim with meals,
- attend every activity / mom-and-baby group in sight,
- place your grocery orders online for the first four-weeks post-return, or
- buy a new calendar and detail every activity over the coming month.
To smooth the transition we naturally want to get everything we can control organized, so that it creates less to worry or think about as we take on this new chapter of baby + work.
Before that nesting desire emerges perhaps consider...
How do you build time into your nesting period for getting yourself ready for your return?
What things matter the most in that final month? How do you keep your focus on those activities while managing your desire to "nest"?