This is front of mind for me today, as I have just returned home from a trip. My trip was terrific, however due to not following the bullets below, I returned home with an empty fuel tank.
Here are some of my Traveling Mamma Tips:
In my eyes almost everything around work-life balance boils down to self-love. Plan your trip in a way that allows you to return with a least a little gas in the tank (i.e. you took the time to show yourself a little love).
How do you show yourself self-love when traveling for business?
- Plan A, B, and C - Plan in a way that makes you comfortable that everything at home is under control (i.e. having a back-up plan, calling regularly to check-in etc.). This is personal, think about what is going to help you manage your stress and anxiety while you are away.
- The logistics of your trip - fly at times that work based on your sleep schedule (i.e. avoiding the red-eye). This may mean an extra night away from your family, however instead of returning home with an empty tank and having a write-off day, you return with the energy you need to give those extra snuggles and catch-up on all that email.
- Pack healthy plane snacks.
- Find time for some exercise - walking meetings work well if you have a one-on-one meeting. Otherwise you could consider building a half an hour for sightseeing into your day. At the least, take the stairs.
- Eat healthy. For me, my mood and energy levels are a reflection of what I put into my body.
- Drink water, lots of it.
- Schedule in the time to connect with your family (Telephone, FaceTime, Skype, VC etc.) in advance so you don't miss out on saying hello.
Traveling Mammas - What other tips do you have?