A key step, from my perspective, is understanding your priorities. Here is a simple exercise to help evaluate priorities, ultimately creating what I like to call a Priority Snake. All you need is a pad of sticky notes (or some paper scraps) and a pen / marker / pencil.
Creating your Priority Snake...
- Ask yourself, "What matters to me?"
- Write each of your answers on a separate sticky note (or scrap of paper).
- Drawing a blank? Consider what you need physically, emotionally, intellectually, spiritually...
- Now spread all those sticky notes out in front of you like a big go-fish pond.
- Build your Priority Snake - your highest priorities at the top, lowest at the bottom.
- Start by taking two sticky notes from the pond. Ask yourself, "Which matters more?" Creating a vertical chain of priorities stick the one with higher importance above the other item. (You will notice that I have some simultaneous priorities in the picture below - there are no rules here :)
- Now, grab another sticky note from the pond. Compare it to the two you already selected, asking yourself, "Which matters more?" Place the new note where it belongs in the chain.
- Continue until you have an empty pond and a completed Priority Snake.
Now, how are you going to live those priorities in 2015?