For this exercise you need a few pages in your journal and a pen / pencil / marker. All set?
After each time you say yes or no to a request over the next 3-4 weeks try answering the following questions in your journal:
- What is the situation, what was your reaction 'yes' or 'no'?
- How did the asker react to your response?
- How did you feel when you gave that response?
- How did you feel a few hours later?
After you have a few entries in your journal, reflect and consider:
- What trends in my behaviour do I see here?
- What makes me feel positive after a give a response and feel positive a few hours later?
- Highlight when there is a conflict between how you feel about giving the response and how you feel a few hours later. Then consider what is making you feel that way?