As I sat there (feeling very lucky to have a seat), I remembered my last daily commute into the city by car. Everyone around me looking so frustrated sitting in traffic as they headed to work or home from a long day. The funny thing is we know that traffic is going to be there each day or that public transit is going to be busy. Traffic and commuting gives many of us a negative feeling. If we have to do it, why not reframe it and make it positive.
Some ideas for car and/or public transit commuting with a smile:
- Read a book or listen to a book on tape.
- Put on your favourite music and/or belt it out.
- Carpool / travel with a friend that makes you laugh and smile. Chat your way to and from work.
- Get bluetooth and use travel time to catch up with a friend on the phone.
- Plan your next vacation or create your bucket list in your mind.
- Research / listen to local radio for all the awesome things to do in your area that night or on the coming weekend.
- Take the time to mentally work through all the frustrations and joys of your day. Create an action plan or to-do list. Pack them up and leave them in the car / on the train so you can really engage when you get home.
- Leave time to stop and get yourself your favourite hot beverage, sip and enjoy the entire way to/from work.
- Stop midway home to break up the journey (see a friend, grab groceries, pick up a takeaway, pop into a sale at your favourite shop etc.)
What is your favourite thing to do to make your commute a happy one?